Quran Chptr 2-53 (Pt-1,Stg-1)(L-84) -درس قرآن
Sacred Writings and the Criterion
Surah ‘Al-‘Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
53. And when We gave unto Moses the Scripture and the Criterion (of right and wrong) that ye might be led aright.
53. Wa ‘iz ‘aatayNaa Muusal- Kitaaba wal-Furqaana la-‘al-lakum tahtaduun.
Al-Furqaan – the Standard of Judging, the Orders, Commandments or Mandates, which separate and disunite right and wrong. This word has been derived from the word faraqa, the word tafriiq is also from the same origin, which means “to divide or distinguish”; the Holy Books (as distinguishing or separating the truth from falsehood). The Commentators of the Religion have different sayings about Furqaan:
- Those Miracles which were bestowed to the Prophet Moses (peace be upon Him) from God, the Most High.
- Such victory and overcoming which was gained
by the children of
against the Army of Pharaoh. Israel
- The Jews understand also from this word, those verbal teachings which were revealed upon the Prophet Moses (peace be upon Him) besides Torah.
- ‘Al-Furqaan is the name of Holy Qur’aan too as well as other Heavenly Books are called Furqaan also, because these Commandments differentiate between the Right and the Wrong.
In this verse ‘al-Furqaan means the Orders and Commandments by which the true and the false, the right and the wrong, and the goodness and the evil may be separated from one another and there may not remain any accommodation for doubt and suspicion.
When the repentance of the Children of Israel was accepted, the Prophet Moses (peace be upon Him) went again to the
Mount Sinai (Koh –i – Toor) and brought many Commandments from God
Almighty which were written on the Tablets. The Collection of those Orders is
God Almighty is reminding the Children of Israel His Favors in this verse. He commands them, “You disobeyed Our Orders and began worshiping the Calf, but We forgave you with Our kindness. Then We revealed upon Prophet Moses (peace be upon Him) such Scripture, which contained complete Law of Divine and a Guide (Torah), so that you may pass your lives according to its instructions. By that Scripture, it was easy to distinguish between just and absurd, lawful and unlawful, good and bad.”
It is known from this lesson that the Holy Book revealed from Allah Almighty and the Measure (Miizaan) among the just and the absurd is a great blessing for the human being. The Guidance can be obtained from it only and only those individuals are successful, who act upon the Holy Word of God Almighty, and take guidance from the Balance of true and false. It is incumbent on us that we should correct our words and deeds in the light of Holy Qur’aan and Sayings of the last Prophet Muhammad (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him), grow the virtue of distinguishing among the true and the false into ourselves and don’t consider the good and the bad equal. We should keep distinction between lawful and unlawful before us every time.